The Center for EMS Education has been training Michigan’s EMS providers for over 35 years.
Our program is designed to give you hands-on experience in emergency medicine and to prepare you for state and national certification exams.
Get in Touch
Certification Courses for Medical Professionals
American Heart Association CPR and first aid classes
EMS Education is proud to offer AHA CPR certification courses and community courses as time allows. Please fill out our interest form below if you have a CPR or First Aid class request. Pricing is outlined but is not due until a class is registered.
- Hands-Only CPR (Free): A one-hour non-certification course teaching Hands-Only CPR with chest compression practice on manikins.
- Community First Aid (Free): A non-certification course teaching basic First Aid. This course can cover specific requested topics or basic curriculum can be provided.
- Stop the Bleed (Free): A non-certification course teaching how to stop a bleed with opportunities for practice. A certification course may be available upon request.
- AHA BLS Provider ($75/person): The BLS provider course is a 4-hour, in-person provider level CPR course for those working in or beginning their career in the healthcare industry.
- AHA Heartcode BLS and Skills Check ($85/person): The Heartcode BLS is designed for professionals. It is a hybrid course with online modules and testing followed by a 1.5-hour skills check. The online portion of the course must be completed before the skills check.
- AHA Heartsaver CPR AED ($65): The Heartsaver CPR AED course is a 3+ hour in-person CPR certification course designed for the general public.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid ($65): The Heartsaver First Aid course is a 3 Hour in-person firstaid certification course for the general public.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED ($95): The Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course is a 6-hour in-person first aid and CPR certification course designed for the general public.
- AHA Heartsaver for K-12 Schools (Inquire for pricing): The Heartsaver for K-12 Schools is an in-person certification course for students and teachers of K-12 schools. Participants must have the physical ability to perform CPR and complete the requirements of the course. Middle schoolers are typically the youngest participants that are successful. Younger students may benefit from the Hands-Only course.
As the Education Center for Michigan’s largest EMS provider, we are driven to see our students succeed and develop into strong medical professionals. We employ over 70% of our program graduates, the quality of our EMS force is dependent on the quality of training they receive as students.
It is the goal of our program to prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels.
In addition, this program is designed to give students extensive practical application in addition to the knowledge and skills acquired in the EMT and/or AEMT class. This course outline includes advanced skills practice with a focus on assessment-based patient management, along with gaining a more in-depth understanding of pathophysiology. Content areas are covered in lectures, practical skills practiced in a laboratory setting, along with observations and practical experience that will be gained in a clinical and/or internship setting. Huron Valley Ambulance requires candidates for all programs to demonstrate competency in eight core abilities: Communicate effectively; Think creatively and critically; Use technology effectively; Use mathematics; Manage information; Work cooperatively; Act responsibly; and demonstrate social and cultural awareness.
Hands-On Teaching Practices
We strive to stay up-to-date in our teaching practices and meet student needs in a variety of ways. We accomplish this through:
- Modern teaching tools, including an EMS driving simulator, interactive simulated scene response training, and a SimMan patient simulator.
- Varied class options, including fully online lectures with in-person labs, satellite learning lab sessions, traditional classroom learning, and daytime/evening class and lab options.
what sets us apart
We are Michigan’s leader in EMS Education. We hold our students to high standards that prepare them for academic success and allow them to serve as skilled and competent medical providers in the field. Our program offers:
- Instructors with years of experience working as EMS providers
- Curriculum based on state and national standards and industry best practices
- Hands-on guidance for clinical skills including in-depth lab sessions and support from licensed lab assistants
- Field clinicals in healthcare settings and an ambulance with experienced EMS providers
- One-on-one tutoring and support when needed
- Education Coordinators and Lab Assistants split their time between the classroom and working in the ambulance, keeping them up-to-date on real-world practices
train with the best
EMS EDUCATION COURSE INFORMATION & SCHEDULE
Scroll down to view our monthly schedule of continuing education courses in the course schedule calendar.
Blended course | Online instruction, in-person labs
This is a traditional, tuition-based EMT program. Coursework is online with in-person labs.
Students choose once weekly or twice weekly lab sessions. Labs are held in Ann Arbor. All lab sessions are mandatory.
Tuition is $1,700 + the cost of books and uniforms. Tuition is due in full at registration.
Blended course | Online instruction, in-person labs.
The EMT Academy is a 12-week, paid, work-study program. Students attend this tuition-free program full-time and are placed into immediate employment after successful course completion. Students are required to give a a two-year full-time work commitment after course completion.
Coursework is a mixture of online and in-person. Labs are in-person. The class meets Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
The cost of tuition, books, uniforms, supplies, and testing are all included in this course.
Fully online course
This course is a prerequisite for the paramedic program and it is strongly encouraged as a co-requisite for EMT students. This course is completely online.
Tuition is $900 + the cost of the book and lab manual. Tuition is due in full at registration.
Blended course | Online instruction, in-person labs
Lab sessions meet weekly. Students choose to attend labs at the Ann Arbor or Jackson campus. All lab sessions are mandatory.
Tuition is $6,825 + the cost of books and uniforms. The first tuition installment is due in full at registration.
Join our Mailing List
Join our mailing list to receive updates about future classes!